The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands by Lysa Terkeurst.
Summary from Google Books:
Are you living with the stress of an overwhelmed schedule and aching with the sadness of an underwhelmed soul?
Lysa TerKeurst is learning that there is a big difference between saying yes to everyone and saying yes to God. In The Best Yes she will help you:
- Cure the disease to please with a biblical understanding of the command to love.
- Escape the guilt of disappointing others by learning the secret of the small no.
- Overcome the agony of hard choices by embracing a wisdom based decision-making process.
- Rise above the rush of endless demands and discover your best yes today.
Does a “YES” make sense in each of these areas?
Because whatever (stressed out) attitude you bring to the decision and the situation that follows will be multiplied!
The Word of God addresses my approach.
The Ways of God address my attitude.
The Wonder of God provides my assurance.
There is no such thing as a PERFECT DECISION!!
Five parts to making a decision:
- Trusting in God – place your desire under His authority.
- Analyze the decision.
- Make the decision.
- Own the decision.
- Trusting in God – to work good even from not so good parts.
The space between our expectations and our reality is a fertile field, and it’s the perfect place to grow a bumper crop of disappointment.
Every “YES” answer comes with a list of expectations. If you do not know what those expectations are, you can not possibly meet them. It’s crucial to identify the expectations before giving a “YES”.
Determine if the expectations we are agreeing to with this “YES” are really realistic:
- Will it feel thrilling two weeks, two months and/or six months from now?
- Do any of the expectations that come from this yes feel forced or frantic?
- Could any part of this yes be tied to people pleasing?
- Which wise people in my life would think this is a good idea?
- Are there any facts I try to avoid or hide discussing this with my wise advisors?
What makes an expectation unrealistic?
- My time.
- My ability.
- My money.
- My passion.
- My season.